Monday, July 06, 2009

Just two weeks, and I missed so much. Gotta get some videos from Sheryl.

Jojo keeps coming up with these "words of the day." Not that she calls them that, but I do. The first was "adorable" as in everything is "just adorable." Then it was "amazing." We went to check out Lakeshore AC. She saw the small gym, and I put her on the bench outside the window. "It's amazing!" she said. She said it a few more times throughout the tour. I'll post the videos we have on it.

She is also getting into the "watch me, Daddy!" phase. She's been in the "will you do ___ with me" for a while. She loves Sis's Hello Kitty baseball bat, and we have to tell her not to hit everything and everyone in sight with it. I think she learned it from playing baseball with the boys in Grandma's backyard. Sometimes the boys play swords or light sabers with them, too. She's asked me to fight with her a couple of times.

It is amazing how much she picks up. At the library last week, she wanted books on Humpty Dumpty (where'd she find out about him?). We got three of them, and of course she likes the one that has Humpty Dumpty climbing in his underwear (H.D. Climbs Again by David Horowitz).

Her favorite bed time story is still Goldilocks and the Three Bears. I try to incorporate something from our day into the story, but it always starts the same: "once upon a time there was a girl named... what was her name?" "Goldilocks" comes the happy answer. Yesterday Goldilocks liked to pick blueberries with her mommy (something she and Sheryl did in the backyard that evening). She tends to fall asleep before I finish the story, but if she's awake, she knows if I vary it one bit, and she corrects me. The routine has become more complicated by a string of party lights over her bed. She gets to drink her milk and maybe read one book while the lights are on, but we have to turn them off for Goldilocks or she won't go to sleep. "But it's dark when I close my eyes" she protests. "Yes, but if you don't close your eyes, you can't fall asleep." I lay on the floor, usually stretching my back as I tell the story. It also makes it easier for me to escape one she's asleep because she can't feel me take pressure off the mattress or anything like that, as I had to learn the hard way.

Jojo is also learning to enjoy time with Sis. She used to beg to go everywhere with me. Now if Sis is home, she wants to stay home with Sis. Today she threw Sis a ball (stilling working on catching) and watched Sis cut out clothes from her fashion book. Sis won't change her diapers, so I can't be gone long.

Finally, we took Jojo off cow milk, and her attitude has improved. Less cranky, more cheerful. She's actually eating food and asking for food. Granted, it's the same food - prunes, meat, yogurt, cereal, crackers - just more of it and more willingly.

Tomorrow she is going swimming with Grandma. I'll tell you how it went...

No comments: